CITE - A 12-Lecture Course in Technology Commercialization
CITE - Commercialization of Innovative Technology through Entrepreneurship
This 12-lecture digital course is for anyone involved in technology development and the business development opportunities based on technology.
You will learn:
• A methodology for providing R&D focus to enhance commercialization;
• Skills in open innovation, technical marketing, manufacturing engineering and team building; and
• Ways to develop and present the business case to get funding at both small and large companies.
CITE provides a roadmap and methodology for moving advanced technology into successful commercial products and provides a view of current and future hot areas for investor funding. The elements of commercialization are defined and discussed:
• Technology innovation;
• Identification of market opportunities and potential;
• The competitive environment related to both technology and companies;
• Manufacturing encompassing sourcing, quality, cost, cost reduction and standards;
• Barriers to entry;
• Value proposition, including product differentiation;
• Entrepreneurial management;
Discover approaches for identifying market opportunities and developing a roadmap for successful commercialization. The course provides an outline for commercialization plans now required in many government contracts and demonstrates how to define and justify funding levels and potential sources of funding.
The course will benefit all
• graduate students; and
• working engineers and scientists
by introducing the ideas of market-focused product development, innovation, manufacturing engineering and the general concepts of entrepreneurial management to arm emerging and active engineers and scientists with added valuable skills. While most will not become classical entrepreneurs, those who work in basic research, applied research or product development will benefit, as will the employers who hire them. The course is general and applies to all areas of technology with an emphasis on photonics. In addition, it covers start-ups and academic R&D as well as R&D in large companies.
About the Instructor
has over 50 years of experience in the photonics industry. He is the managing partner of Light Wave Venture LLC, a company focused on developing photonic business opportunities over a broad range of markets. A trained scientist turned businessman, David has assisted more than 127 companies and organizations, working with key management on product development, commercialization, funding and acquisitions. In prior experience, David served as the global new business director for photonics at 3M Company. He has been associated with six start-ups as the CEO or other key management position, has written five books and more than 60 papers and holds 27 photonics-related patents.
As a result of his activity in business development and commercialization, he designed the Commercialization of Innovative Technology through Entrepreneurship – CITE
– methodology that can be applied to technology in general.
The course is delivered on a USB flash drive with the 12 CITE lectures in both narrated PowerPoint and video versions.